Saturday 26 January 2013

Skills & Thoughts

Being well into the new year I think its time, to check up on myself. What have I learned so far...

Well I've become sort of a master baker of bread, and to me that's a huge achievement and very therapeutic too, not exactly sure why, but nevermind that. I use half a packet of a 2,5kg cake flour with half a packet of yeast and gradually moisten it with water until firm. I was watching my mom this past holiday and she told me that I can use this dough to make buns, vetkoek, pizza bases and roosterkoek. Lovely! Obviously I wanna get creative and mix in garlic or raisins. Or on top, sesame or pumpkin seeds. Or make nice carvings to give it that rustic look. Or paint it with milk or egg to ad some shine.

Would love to improve my culinary skills with biscuits and cakes, soon I hope. Particularly looking forward to try out red velvet cake or chocolate chip cookies. Yum ;)

I've actually started reading that K53 Learners and Drivers Handbook. Must learn to drive this year. I suffer from severe anxiety, and believe me its holding me down in many ways. In this case perseverance will be the key to my success.

I've learned to except that certain obstacles will only be there for a while, if you have the courage to tackle them.

I've learned to live economically, me and Basil saved so much when we started to bake our own bread, I mean nothing beats marmite on a slice of toast every once in a while, I know, but we will save a lot and see the results in the end. We also have big plans with our big yard in the back. Looks like this area is very fertile, there's trees all over the place. I've seen lots of fruit trees among them. I've received this cute little garden calendar in the January issue of Home magazine, such great way to keep track of my garden, so I want to write down garden goals, haha and stylewise I would prefer it whimsical and wabi sabi, meaning the beauty of imperfection, aah now that's achievable. Memo to myself - start planting! ;)

What have you learned to far? Let me know...

Picture - www.favim.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Woohoo, thank you for this lovely comment! ;)